Thursday, November 10, 2011

Baking with Buttermilk


pie ranch photo

I found this recipe on 
I love baking with buttermilk.




pie ranch photo 

and as you can see,
I love eating things that are made with buttermilk.



Buttermilk-Blueberry Breakfast Cake
 Serves 6-8
 ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup + 1 T. sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.


Just a side note,
When I was making the cake and saw the 7/8 cup of sugar,
I thought she had made a typing error.
I googled 7/8 of a cup and found this:


measure out 3/4 of cup, put it in something.
measure out 1/4 cup, halve that amount and add it to the 3/4
you will then have approx 7/8 cup


Weird? I have been baking for along time and have never come across 7/8 of a cup.

Tomorrow or whenever I get to it, I will post the recipe for a Buttermilk pie. One from my SIL and one that I have had for years, both from Martha Stewart.

Petie


No comments:

Post a Comment